Saturday, March 16, 2013

Cherry Chocolate Nut Bars (Cherry Candy)

My sweet friend Karen gave me this super delicious recipe over 19 years ago, and I made it numerous times over the years until somehow I lost the recipe. I was thrilled to re-discover it a few weeks ago, so I made sure to add it here so I would never lose it again. It's one of my favorites! I do find that I have to search a bit more in several different stores to find the cherry frosting however, but it's totally worth the effort!

Cherry Chocolate Nut Bars (Cherry Candy)


12 oz. milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
12 oz. salted peanuts, chopped
1 (10.5 oz.) pkg. miniature marshmallows
1 (16 oz.) container cherry frosting

Directions:
Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter on low in the microwave. Stir well and add the chopped peanuts.  Spread half of this mixture in a 9 x 13 inch glass pan sprayed very lightly.  Place in fridge to set up.  Melt marshmallows.  We melted it in the microwave on very low stirring every 20 seconds. When melted and smooth, stir in the frosting.  Spread this mixture carefully on top of the chocolate layer.  Let cool in the fridge.  Then top with remaining chocolate for the last layer.  If it has set up a little, just microwave it for about 30 seconds and stir well.  Be sure to spread each layer to the edges of the pan.

Refrigerate until firm.  Cut into pieces - about 48.  Store in refrigerator.

No comments: