Friday, January 14, 2011

Coconut Cherry Pecan Bars

These are a HUGE favorite around my house, and now a permanent fixture in my baking files. I found the original recipe on Allrecipes, but I prefer pecans so my recipe reflects that change.

Coconut Cherry Pecan Bars

1 cup all-purpose flour

3 TBSP. powdered sugar

1/2 cup cold butter (no substitutes)

FILLING:

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup lightly chopped maraschino cherries

1/2 cup flaked coconut

In a bowl, combine flour and powdered sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350* F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. For filling, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the egg mixture. Stir in pecans, cherries and coconut. Spread over crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

**I use my food processor to mix the crust ingredients, pulsing until it’s crumbly, then press the mixture into a pan lined with foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Then I also use it to chop the drained maraschino cherries, then to chop the pecans.

No comments: