Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Potato Refrigerator Dough

This recipe is one that has seriously changed my life, and comes from the blog of my awesomely smart friend Holly. Hands down, the best rolls I have EVER had, seriously delicious and oh so easy too. I love being able to make the dough ahead of time, and then I am able to just pull it out of the fridge to use a few hours before diner time. Better than Rhodes rolls, these are an absolute staple in my recipe files. I posted the recipe that way I make it, which is not really all that different from the original, but I wanted to make sure I never lost this gem of a recipe, so I posted it here for "safekeeping".

Potato Refrigerator Dough

2 packages (or 5 tsp.) active dry or instant yeast*
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes**
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil, or melted butter or margarine
2 large eggs
2 tsp. Kosher salt
7 to 7 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached or bread flour, divided
 

**Mashed potatoes can be made from just very hot water and instant mashed potato flakes mixed in to equal 1 cup. Cool to 105° F. before adding to the yeast mixture.

1. Pour the warm water into your mixing bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over top. Let sit for 5 minutes or so to proof.
2. Mix in the warm mashed potatoes, sugar, oil, eggs, and salt. Mix.
3. Stir in the flour, a cup at a time, until the dough is slightly sticky, but firm and cleaning the sides of the bowl.
4. Turn onto a floured counter and knead by hand or with the mixer’s dough hooks until smooth and elastic – about 5 to 8 minutes.
5. Place in a greased or sprayed bowl, turning dough so greased side is up. Cover bowl with sealing lid or plastic wrap. (you may want to spray it with non-stick cooking spray so it doesn’t stick)
6. Place in the refrigerator. Punch down when doubled (about 30 minutes for fast-acting, 45 minutes to an hour for active dry yeast).
7. Keep dough refrigerated for up to 6 days, punching down if doubled in size.
8. About two hours before baking, shape dough into rolls.
9. Place on/in greased pans and cover with sprayed or greased plastic wrap or a large tea towel. Let rise until doubled, about 1 ½ hours.
10. Bake at 350° F for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.

-This recipe makes enough dough for 4 dozen rolls, so one quarter of the dough will give you 1 dozen rolls. This dough is best used up by the 5th day as by day 6 it starts to taste quite yeasty. You can also make cinnamon rolls or shape it into loaves of bread with this dough, it's up to you.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Heather, I just randomly came over to this blog and suddenly realized you'd shared my recipes. Ooh, I feel so special! ( : I'm really glad you liked them. Now I've got to try some of yours!