Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pantry Salsa #2

This version of the recipe came about when I accidentally ended up with several cases of cans of "medium" heat diced tomatoes and green chilies. It was way too spicy for me to use the whole can, and my kids refused to eat it, so instead I figured out how to use it with my other recipe with just a few modifications. To make things easy, I divide up the entire can of tomatoes and chilies into 1/4 cup portions and freeze them in baggies so I can just pull one out to make salsa anytime, and that way I'm able to actually make use of the numerous cans of spicy tomatoes and chilies in my food storage.

Pantry Salsa #2

2 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup 'Medium' or 'Hot' Ro-Tel, undrained

1 TBSP. dried minced onion (or 2 TBSP. diced fresh onion)
1 tsp. minced garlic (in the jar)

1 TBSP. lime juice or lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1 TBSP. dried cilantro (or 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped)


Throw everything into food processor bowl. Pulse lightly until well mixed and slightly chunky, but not pureed. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until ready to serve. Makes about 4 cups. 

No comments: