Thursday, May 13, 2010

Homemade Granola

I love homemade granola, and this recipe is popular with my kids, especially when it's sprinkled on top of their yogurt. You can change up some of the ingredients if you prefer, just try to keep the increments the same.

Homemade Granola

8 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups wheat germ
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1 (7 oz.) pkg. flaked coconut
2 cups sliced or slivered almonds
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup honey
1 TBSP. ground cinnamon
1 TBSP. vanilla extract
2 cups dried cranberries 'or' raisins

Preheat oven to 325* F. Line two cookie sheets with foil.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, oat bran, coconut and almonds. Stir to mix well. In a medium saucepan, combine the salt, brown sugar, oil, maple syrup, honey, cinnamon and vanilla. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to mix well. Remove from heat and pour over top of the oat mixture. Stir to coat, making sure to mix well. Divide the mixture between the two cookie sheets and spread them out evenly. Bake in the preheated 325* F oven for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Cool, then stir in the dried cranberries (or raisins). Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 15 cups

2 comments:

BlondieBlueEyes said...

I could do that. Granola always seemed hard but this seems easy enough. I can't wait to try it.

Lauralee said...

I am all over this granola. Once I am back from my vaca I am going to make it for sure. Sounds easy and delicious. Can't wait.